Tuesday 23 June 2009

To Normanton on Soar and East Devon!

After a trip back to Sileby Mill with brother in law John, his daughter and family, they helped me on through Mountsorrel lock and I continued on to moor below Pillings Lock. Rain forecast so I spent 2 nights here. On Monday I cycled into Loughborough, explored the shops and met Charley and Dolores on nb Felonious Mongoose outside the Albion pub - they said the moorings were fine. The rain didn't come to much after all and on Tuesday I went to moor behind Charley and Dolores. Now a chance to do a bit of sightseeing - I had never actually stopped in Loughborough before. On Wednesday, having found out by towpath telegraph that Bishop Meadow lock was closed all day for maintenance, I went with Charley and Dolores to the Bell Foundry (the oldest in the world) where we enjoyed a tour of the foundry and museum. Very interesting - full of information and lightened by lots of funnies. We were shown a set of 13 bells almost complete and destined for St Mary's Church in Cambridge (my bellringing crew, Chris and Mary, will inform me if these details are incorrect!) Bells used to be delivered by canal and river - but I didn't offer to take this extremely large order, even though I wouldn't object to another trip to Cambridge.

On Thursday morning I set off - in winds stronger than I usually travel in - but I had an appointment to keep. After Bishop Meadow lock I was back on the River Soar and soon approaching the lovely village of Normanton on Soar. As I approached Soar Boating Club moorings I couldn't see further round the bend so made the decision to turn beside the visitor moorings - which were in use. Much to one of the occupants surprise I did a good turn, aided by the strong wind, and came almost gently beside his boat. I had booked to leave the boat here and had been warned that I would probably have to breast up - the other boater hadn't been told this! Any way he was very friendly and helped me moor up beside both him and the boat behind!

That lunchtime I explored the village - really lovely and peaceful with some beautiful large houses. Unfortunately not very many passing boaters get to see the village as the only moorings are outside the nice looking pub or the boat club, or unless you walk down from Zouch.

On Saturday set off to Devon for granddaughter Lauren's 4th birthday and a week's holiday with her family. I was luckily provided with an upgrade on the hire car as the driver delivering took 45 minutes to find me despite giving him an accurate postcode - the boat club was not easily seen so I had been standing by the road all that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment