Saturday 17 September 2011

Lymm to Barbridge

Saturday 3 September, warm and sunny:  After Chris and Mary left I walked Ebony to Dunham Massey Hall.  What a lovely place.  Tied her to fence by entrance hut outside gardens and explored.  Loved the borrowed chickens scratching up weeds and fertilising an area for the new rose garden.  Checked Eb, happily meeting greeting all who passed by, then quickly explored the huge and wonderful house.  Decided to have lunch but the restaurant was all indoors and above old stables so not dog friendly - new one being built in 2013.  Back to boat and set off for one of my favourite moorings - outside the lovely bridge cottage at Lymm.

Sunday, fairly hot and sunny.  Stopped at Thorne Marine for diesel - "you decide" and continued on to just before Preston Brook, mooring opposite cows paddling in the canal - aah.

Monday, sunny, showers and windy.  Set off, just missing the slot for the first tunnel, but reached Anderton for late lunch.  Spent a couple of days here as it was really windy.

Thursday, overcast with slight breeze, windy in pm.  Set off at 8.15, on through Billinge Flash (lovely moorings), stopping at Broken Cross country moorings to make a coffee - boat started OK this time!, then on up through Middlewich.  Stopped to treat the chimney to a new hat at King's Lock, quick trip to bakers then continued on to moor just off the SUCS moorings with a view of Church Minshull.  I avoid these rings as they have the Shroppie ledge - who planned those moorings???

Friday, sunny and warm and no wind.  Another early start - daughter is expecting a baby, due on Wednesday, and I will be driving up to look after little Louise when mum goes into hospital - I am therefore getting anxious about mooring up and getting the car back.  At both locks I was met by people waiting to go down and each offered to work the lock for me - great, as both are 11' and I don't enjoy climbing these tall ladders.  I do of course get off the boat, chat, help finish off the lock and show my appreciation.  Soon moored up at Barbridge where I got a bus to Crewe, train to Wigan, bus to Crooke and retrieved the car (also visited daughter not far away).  Once I had done this I was feeling much more relaxed - and ready to dash to Lancashire again when necessary.  Thanks, Lesley, for the lovely meal out on Sunday, sleepover and Cheeky Monkeys on Monday!

Have now got BW permission to stay longer here.  We are 3 days past the due date!  Fingers crossed my 8th grandchild will arrive safely VERY soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment