Saturday 28 July 2012

Braunston to Radford Semele - time to get ship shape!

I had a great weekend in Lancashire at my daughter and son in law's house with lots of family - having driven up from Devon and Kent.  On Sunday went to 10-month Caitlin's Thanksgiving service followed by a buffet feast with family and friends.  On Tuesday I drove back in hot sun to Braunston, did a quick shop in village butcher and stores before returning the car.  Another successful hire with Enterprise in Daventry.  Soon escaped the marina, to moor outside in part shade and next to a friendly couple on Marilyn Jane.  Ebony happy to be out too!

Set off at 9.30 next morning, Wednesday, (not as early as planned - I slept too well!).  Turned under the lovely double iron bridge and headed for Napton Junction - although I was tempted to stop at Fox's Gate but will stop next time.  I moored after 2 hours just before the junction to hang up washing and catch up on a few jobs whilst sitting out the very hot sun - 27 degrees.  Yet again I can't wash and polish - it has been going on for some time now, either too wet, too hot or in the wrong place.  Mind you I haven't seen much boat cleaning anywhere for the last few months!  My aim is to get to somewhere near Warwick where I have ex-boating friends joining me before I go down to Stratford - and yet more company/crew!

Thursday - managed to leave a bit earlier at 8.40 and soon arrived at 3 Calcutt locks where there was already a boat waiting to go down and 2 coming up.  Sped down as all locks were in our favour.   I continued on to moor before Birdingbury Wharf bridge on a long straightish stretch - along with quite a few other boats.  Another load of washing to hang up and time to do many jobs inside away from the heat.  Again about 27 degrees and still hot in the evening.

Friday - as due to be another very hot day, set off at 8.00 when it was mildly warm.  Met a hire boat coming up top lock and they insisted on helping me down - there was no other boats about.  Whilst boat was in 3rd I walked down to prepare 4th, when a lady (from Flora Dora) asked if anyone was coming up.  I said I would wait for them, so went back to prepare 2nd whilst they went into first.  Soon we were together and not long after met boats coming up as well.  By 10am it was very hot and we continued on to the bottom of the flight at Long Itchington/Cuttle where I moored next to an 'old' friend Brian on Kyle whilst Flora Dora continued on towards Warwick.  At 4pm it clouded over and cooled down - too late to wash and polish the boat, although I did clean the roof - to be covered with willow leaves by the morning!  That evening watched the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics - absolutely brilliant - and watched to the end at 12.50 - although I did drop off during some of the competitors entrances!

Saturday - Forecast - showers midday, now changed to 3pm.  Despite a late night, I woke at 6.40 - before Ebony!  Decided to get up and get moving - found boaters either side doing the same - but not in my direction!  At 7.50 I left the mooring and cruised nearly 2 miles to Bascote locks - to find BW/CRT workboat right in the middle of the lock moorings!  Prepared the staircase of 2, entered the top lock and opened paddle - just as a boat came round the distant corner.  Quickly filled lock and found myself in the company of Jane and husband on The Pearl.  We soon got into a rhythm only bothering to open 1 gate: I left the locks last and entered the next first, with the help of bowthrusters; only 1 paddle was raised and eventually the gate which I closed whilst the others went ahead to the next lock.  Met a few boats coming up eventually, many on their own.  The Pearl is making its way to Mercia Marina for the winter where the owners will become liveaboards.

I moored a bit further on after the locks, in the open and opposite Radford Semele, which can hardly be seen from the canal.  I will stay here to get the boat ready for ex-boating friends Kathy and Les (formerly of All Seasons) who will join me on Monday when I get to Warwick - we will spend the first night in the Saltisford Arm - if there is a vacancy - no booking!  But first I will need a large stock-up at Tesco's.

I have 3 crews (both friends and family) coming over the whole of the next 5 weeks - when we will be doing the Stratford Ring, also the Droitwich Canal and probably Stourport - not sure if I will have time to write the blog - will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment