Thursday 8 November 2012

Napton, Fenny Compton and back to Braunston

After my few days at Fox's Gate I moved on 13 October just 1 mile as I wanted to explore Flecknoe from the south east.  From Br 103 I followed a level, somewhat wet, bridle path and followed a sign up a field boundary - from there I struggled to find the path round the edge of Bush Hill and found myself scrambling across ditches and along steep rough field edges, eventually emerging by the Vicarage - the next day I saw some walkers doing the exact route as me!  I knew it was the right way as I had kept seeing footprints in the thick mud!

Sunday 14 - I went on round Napton Hill and up 1 lock where I could get a reasonable broadband signal.  Monday - I got buses to Daventry and then Braunston to retrieve the car.  In the afternoon I logged on CRT to book my winter mooring which I successfully did an hour later.  Phew!

Tuesday and Wednesday I had to take Ebony to the vet - yet another test, this time to extract urine direct from her bladder and make a culture from it.  Took two attempts to get it done as each day she had a good wee as we left the boat and test can only be done with a fullish bladder - I ended up in the car park offering her many drinks of water but not allowing her to wee!

Thursday I was helped up Napton locks by two volunteers - one, Bill, now owns my summer crew Les and Kath's boat All Seasons, now at Calcutt.  Such a small world on the canals!
I stopped 2 locks from top to await Eb's culture results.  Saturday still no news so moved to lovely mooring I call 'Napton View' between Br 129/130 - just after where the proposed High Speed Train (HS2) is due to cross the canal!  Couple of dry days to carry on with jobs. 

Monday 22 - at 6am let Ebony out to have a wee - out of the corner of my eye I saw her walk along the edge of the canal and fall straight in - she then swam (she hates the water) 2/3 of the way across the canal.  As she is hard of hearing and seeing, I had now grabbed a torch and was flashing at her - and shouting.  She eventually turned round and swam back to me and I was able to haul her out - thankfully she was wearing a flashing collar and harness.  We then spent 2 hours in front of the fire drying off - Eb wrapped in a towell - she was shaking for ages.  I now keep her on the lead when I let her off - she is becoming a real worry to me.  Poor old Ebs :-(

Later I set off 3 miles to Fenny Compton, turned and moored on 48h.  From here I could walk/cycle the mile to the village - v sm Co-op (and much near sell-by date!),  PO in Village Hall (M, W, Fr - all 9-10am!!) and laundrette back in The Wharf pub.  All the moorings here are beside tall hedges and very dismal. 

Wednesday I headed north again and spent the night nr Priors Hardwick and Thursday continued on to Marston Doles (top of Napton Flight).  Managed to get 1/2 boat on end of 14 day moorings.  Saturday was spent preparing for my next lot of crew.  Son Graham, wife Becky and Edward 7, Tom 5 and Charlie 3 were driving up from Kent with their new caravan.  After a bad journey they parked at Lake View Camp site Napton and arrived at the boat for tea after setting up camp.  Eldest 2 boys stayed the night with me and the others went back to the caravan.

At 9.45am the rest of the crew arrived and we set off down the locks - good flight and the boys loved working the locks.  Even Charlie was able to open a gate!  Arrived 1 lock up from the bottom at 12.25 and all dashed off to The Folly for a booked Sunday Lunch. Not brilliant but  much needed!  After, we all went to the caravan (it is BIG!) and that evening we all slept there.

On Monday we drove to Warwick Castle and had a great time watching displays of archery, eagles (6' wingspan!), trebouchet (huge mediaeval stone thrower), mad Scientist, Merlin and Dragon, duelling etc etc - much with a Halloween theme.  A most enjoyable day, especially with and for the children, and although an expensive day out, I think we made the most of it!

That evening Charlie spent the night with me on the boat - he is a lovely, cheeky chappy and talked non stop until he got into bed - then the silence was eerily deafening! 
Tuesday 30 - the crew arrived at 10.45 and we set off again - 1 more lock then cruising to Braunston (the boys wishing for more locks!), with a stop half way for lunch.  We all returned to the caravan and spent that evening playing games before dropping off quickly to sleep.  Sadly they left the next morning for home and I returned to the boat to start my winter in lovely Braunston.  Will see them in 10 days tho - for Ed's 8th birthday weekend! 

And Ebony is now 15! (her test showed nothing after all and vet and I have decided enough is enough - no MRI etc - I will just put up with getting up at 6am, some times 5am, for her to have a drink and wee)

Already meeting up with old friends - had spent my winter 4 years ago here next to Nick Wolfe on nb Aldgate when he had big engine problems and today I helped him up Braunston locks in his newly painted working boat emblazened with his name and 'Canal Carrying Company' - so good to see the boat in real working order now.  I have volunteered to help in the Stop House infomation office - sadly it is only open to the public on Fridays, when I am needed, so it is not really a strenuous job!  Time now to slowly prepare for Christmas and do some family history - my strictly winter hobby!  (I found that my great grandfather and his parents ran the Barge Inn in Basingstoke!)  As well of course are all those daily jobs to keep me and the boat clean and warm!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Linda,
    Just to say that we really do enjoy reading your blogs and look forward to the next edition. Hope Ebony is behaving herself and not throwing herself into the canal again!
    The weather here in Mid-Sussex has been atrocious and possibly the best place to be is afloat:-)
    Take care and look forward to seeing you next year.
    Pep's & Sue

    ReplyDelete