Saturday 22 May 2010

Hovering before the Ribble

Whilst at Halsall I met daughter Lesley and granddaughter Louise (13m) at Windmill Farm. We had a lovely time meeting the varied animals (goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas, pigs, calf and a gorgeous 3-week shetland pony) before having a snack in their coffee bar. After that a ride on their 15" guage railway (like the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch trains) and then a while in the soft play area.

Louise was then taken home for her nap and I decided to find the recommended Fairy Glen walk at the top of Parbold Hill. It was absolutely beautiful - trickling stream and small waterfalls through beautiful woods thick with bluebells - something I miss from Sussex. It was also accessible from the canal at Bridge 40 - walk over bridge, then over railway bridge, turn eastwards on track and onto footpath. Across field and you will find yourself at the bottom of the glen. It is actually just north of Appley locks but I don't think accessible from there.

On Thursday I moved to Scarisbrick and in the afternoon went to Leyland to see Lesley and Louise again. That evening I babysat while Phil and Lesley had a rare evening out. Next morning I returned to the boat and went to Red Lion Caravans to fill up with diesel (78p and you can choose your split!). Also bought fuel cans so I can stock up whilst on Lancaster where I hear it is more difficult to get fuel - unless you use the fuel depot in Garstang - another good reason to keep the car with me whilst up there! I will probably leave it at Lesley's after the Lancaster.

Moved on to moor east of Burscough (ready for the 2 swing bridges in the morning). What a really lovely and hot day it is. I cycled back to Scarisbrick to get the car - and found some friends Peter and I met at Crick in 2003 - Bill and Babs on nb Kaydee. After a good chat we found we were all going to meet again on the Lancaster.

Collected the car and drove to the large carpark opposite, but not owned by, the pub at Rufford Top. Then another cycle back to the boat. Ebony had been left 1 1/2 hours but although barking was not too stressed - hadn't even shredded any paper from the log box. Unlike when we went for a meal in Liverpool and came back to find a large stack of magazines had been ripped and scattered thickly all over the lounge area. Oh the joys of a dog suffering from Separation Anxiety - I will go anywhere with you but PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!

Today I have two swing bridges to Burscough and a trip to Tesco's before going on to moor nr Rufford Top. Then I will take car down to Rufford and return to wait for Chris and Mary's arrival early Monday morning. Tuesday 7.42am we go up the Ribble!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment