Saturday 16 June 2012

MD to Acton Trussell - still dodging the weather!

Set off at 8.50 on Saturday 9 June to head for Tyrley locks - and soon found 4 boats following me, all making the most of the dry weather.  Stopped for a quick lunch near the Wharf Inn at Knighton then continued on to moor on the embankment at Norbury.  Spent a hot sunny Sunday morning planting up some of the plants I purchased in Market Drayton market and moved on after lunch.  Always a quandry when weather is fine at the moment - to move or do outside jobs!  Some years since I bothered with Norbury Junction chandlery - found they have much more in stock with new owners!  After lunch I set off for Gnoshall, mooring under trees.  Had a quick circular walk round - good to see the butcher is still there! - and then set off into the sunshine.  Just under 2 hours later I moored almost opposite High Onn Wharf - lovely setting.

Monday 11, after a quick walk with Ebony, I set off for the 3 miles to Wheaton Aston.  Filled tank at Turner's garage (71.9 as was Norbury Junction - now claiming to be cheapest boatyard selling diesel), took on water, then went up through the last but one lock on the canal. Another 3 miles saw me at Brewood, mooring in the shady cutting.  After quick lunch I walked into the lovely village for bread etc.  The only hairdresser looked rather posh/expensive and was closed.  I am desperate for a hair cut but don't want to wait to find they have no appointments next day, nor spend a fortune when I am going to be soaked/windblown!  Back at the boat I decided to move on - a lovely day and I find it quite depressing mooring in the deep shade.  Another 2 miles and I arrived at Park Bridge (8) moorings where there were a lot of boats but a couple of spaces - in the sun!!

Tuesday 12.  Ebony woke, as usual, at 6.30 for drink etc - and it was warm and sunny - lovely.  Set off at 9, followed by another boat.  At Autherley Stop Lock I told them that I hate the creepy narrows at Marsh Lane - and I once found a boat stuck there because they had a mattress, complete with springs, round their prop.  I was glad they were to follow me that way!  Soon thru Cross Green, one of my frequent stops, but not with this good weather!  After that I had a quick few words as I passed 'Father Christmas on his boat' - Dennis on Roma - over 80, long white beard, always cheerful and going strong!  Stopped just past Hatherton Marina for lunch - to stop for night or??  Decided to carry on to pound 2 locks down Gailey flight - but when I got there I found a load of tatty boats...  carried on to moor after 3 more locks opposite Otherton Marina - ready for Penkridge in the morning.

Wedneday 13 - at first lock met BW men opening weir, who said pound after the town lock was 1 foot down and the next completely drained.  Went on to moor above town lock with many other boats, how many in next pound?!  Booked a hair appointment for the afternoon at Inspired, then went to market, butchers and Co-op.  After lunch an ex-boating friend, Wendy from Serenade came to visit - complete with large cream cake!  She left just before I had to go for haircut.  Rather amused as my hairdresser was wearing a towell etc - she had just spray tanned herself in the garden and was rather pre-occupied about its development and her impending first visit to London!  Had an average cut!  We really need a website somewhere to provide us women with recommended hairdressers - strangely Mates Guides don't include this info!

Thursday 14 - was going to retrieve my car from Nantwich, but decided weather was more suited to boating so went on 2 1/2 miles and 4 locks to moor opposite the Moat House Hotel in Acton Trussel - love this village, either by canal or walking through.  From here I can bus to Stafford.

Friday - got 10.04 bus to Stafford station, then trains to Crewe and Nantwich, and another bus to canal.  Car fine - phew!  Drove back to Penkridge - where I asked hair salon manager to tweak my hair - was longer one side and had a long tuft behind my ear - all discovered when I combed my hair wednesday evening.  Most apologetic - hair now shorter all over - but I won't have to find another salon for some time!  Went to leave car, as arranged, at Moat House Hotel - 2 weeks for free, with CCTV.  They also have boats moored long term beside hotel so are used to boaters parking here.  Stafford Boat Club wanted to charge me £10 per week - despite being an AWCC member!

Saturday 16 - due to be very windy all day - 18mph plus with rain, some heavy showers, in pm.  Good day to stay put and do some jobs on board!  Did have a walk to other end of the village - where I have moored often before and opposite low field with ducks, geese.  But the hedge beside the moorings is very high and the moorings are overgrown and not as easy to get hooks in as where I am opposite hotel - will definitely stay put!  Tomorrow a better day!

No comments:

Post a Comment