Saturday 2 June 2012

Wrenbury, Nantwich Basin and Deteriorating Weather!

Sunday 27 May - Set off on another hot to day to go thru Marbury lock and the electric lift bridge where I joined a queue of boats going through.  Moored in semi shade for a long coffee, lunch and afternoon tea stop plus a walk into the village via the church - across a field of cows - avoiding the bull!  Set off at 4.25 and travelled, still in the hot heat, through Baddiley 3 locks and moored nr Ravensmoor - no shade here!

Monday 28 May - it was warm at 6am when Ebony woke me up to go outside.  Before setting off I swept the chimney and cleaned the fire then went through 2 Swanley locks to Swanley Marina.  Had set off from here on 28 March!  Paid my repair bill (oil warning light/sender as I was about to leave) and continued on to Hurleston Locks.  Helped down first one by another singlehander, then lady from boat in front helped me also - how kind.  At the bottom lock she came back to open the gates - the ladder in this lock is so near the gates you would have to jump from the boat to get onto it!  Moored up near the junction for early lunch.  After 2pm I set off to moor by Nantwich Basin junction, ready to go in in the morning.

Tuesday 29 May - at 8.30 went into the basin at Nantwich Canal Centre.  I had booked for a service, tiling to be replaced beneath my fire (cracks now appearing) and for a new rear deck board to be made (old one is really tatty now).  Within half an hour the old deckboard had been removed for the carpenters to copy and Sean had started removing the fire - a job which including re-tiling and refitting the fire and chimney - took 7 hours!  Not a pleasant job on a very hot day.  Meanwhile I took my duvets to the laundrette.  Next day Sean continued with the fire, the engine was serviced and I took a bus to Whitchurch to collect the car.

I had hoped to leave by Wednesday evening but the new strong handle for the large deckboard had to be ordered so I was in for a 2nd night - I don't mind, it is a pleasant boatyard.  Unfortunately they are in the process of building a new chandlery and the usual excellent stock is rather low in the temporary building - so less browsing!  Also today the Olympic flame passed over the Pontcyscyllte Aqueduct on Saturn - unfortunately I am now in NW TV area and they didn't show it! 

Thursday am - I went to the market by 8.30, then a quick Sainsbury stock up, to return before the deck handle had been delivered.  After fitting, I had lunch in the excellent cafe and paid the rather large bill - mostly labour from the fire!  I then found that light rain on the swept roof around the chimney was now revealing dirty stains.  The sap from Saturday's oak tree had caused the stains with the soot dust.  I always praise the staff, workmanship, advice etc at Nantwich and they were all concerned about my newly painted roof - Ian, chief engineer and a really nice chap, suggested, when soap and hot water failed, to use Calfire - spray-on fire glass cleaner - worked a treat!  I backed out to spend a night on the embankment.

Friday 1 June - a walk in/bus back from the town centre in the morning.  Cooler today with a few morning showers.  Now it was time to leave the nearest town to my winter mooring - always sad to move on again.  Before I set off a bunting decked boat passed - with a chap with the Queen's mask, 'old lady's' suit and sitting on a deck chair on the roof!  It is the Queens Diamond Jubilee weekend!  Luckily I bought some flags today!  Travelled for 2 hours and 2 locks to moor at the busy but peaceful Coole Pilate moorings.  In the afternoon I started painting the now tatty looking boat hook and brush - plus the brand new pole I had just purchased.  Tomorrow the weather will start deteriorating - in time for the 4 day BH weekend!

Saturday 2 June - woke to a day of white cloud with morning showers.  Decided to set off for a 40 minute cruise to below Audlem locks - before Sunday's day of rain!  Moored by the row of larch trees.  Will stay here for the weekend, they are also having a Music/Jubilee Festival in the village.  Will also be watching the 1,000 boat pageant on the Thames - sadly on TV not in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment